Are you a people person?
If so, we want you on our team. People like talking to you. You’re a problem solver, self-starter, and keen negotiator. You understand that good customer relationships are vital for business. You make a great first impression. People like working with you because you’re reliable, energetic, and most of all, fun. If this is you, we’d love to meet you.
Where is it based?
• Do you want to work for a market leader in a busy but rewarding environment?
• Do you want to be the go to person for senior management?
• Do you feel you can bring all the below experience in a friendly and professional manner?
If so, this key position may be just what you are looking for.
Who is my manager?
Director of Financial and Management accounting - EMEA
Who are we?
Dow Jones provides news and business information to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. It has produced unrivalled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest newsgathering operations with nearly 2,000 journalists in more than 75 bureaus globally. Its leading publications and products include the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
What is the role?
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a qualified Accountant to join Dow Jones, an international media company with publications such as the Wall Street Journal and eFinancial News. The role reports directly into the Director of Financial and Management accounting - EMEA and will be responsible for the general ledger, accounting, tax and audit support for EMEA Companies within the Dow Jones Group.
Responsible for a number of business units based in Europe, the Financial Accountant will work closely with the Director to ensure that the accounting records for the various entities under their control are complete, accurate and prepared in accordance with the relevant local accounting standards.
You will perform necessary month end tasks, ensure balance sheet reconciliations are kept up to date and perform the year end close and the statutory audit process. Support of local tax audits is also necessary so the successful candidate will be expected to manage these to conclusion
What is my personal contribution?
• Perform the necessary month end checks and balances to ensure that the figures are recorded accurately and are complete.
• Prepare reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts under your responsibility in a timely manner.
• Interrogate the ledgers and clean up any historic issues in the areas under your control.
• Assist with the audit and preparation of annual statutory accounts and related branches or subsidiaries across EMEA and APAC and ensure they are filed within the required timelines.
• Partner with tax team to ensure appropriate returns are filed in a timely fashion and in compliance with local rules.
• Managing the AP process for local invoice approvals of foreign branches, dealing with documentation that is not necessarily in English.
• Work closely with the US based AP, AR and GL teams to ensure that all entries from the different sub-ledgers are accurately recorded into the Peoplesoft GL.
• Work closely with supporting local accountants and lawyers to ensure compliance with local laws and accounting standards.
• Manage the tax audit process in countries such as Germany.
• Preparation of local financial statements in Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Taiwan and the UK.
• Assist with project and process improvement work as and when it arises.
What do you need from me?
• Qualified Chartered Accountant or international equivalent with 3-5 years PQE and experience of industry.
• Experience with the preparation and audit of financial statements in UK, EMEA and APAC regions under local GAAP.
• Experience of preparation of consolidated UK financials and local branch accounts in each jurisdiction.
• Managing relationships with 3rd parties responsible for preparation of locally complaint documentation for accounting and tax.
• Working in a multinational organisation and global finance team dealing with multiple currency transactions and keeping management and statutory books.
• Exposure to month end and year end close process in a commercial environment.
• Good working knowledge of excel. E.g must be able to use vlookup, pivots, sumif etc and know when to use them.
• Proactive flexible attitude with a track record of implementing positive change.
• Excellent time management, communication and co-ordination skills
• Ability to work autonomously and get things done in a timely manner
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written
• An eye for detail resulting in the necessary accuracy
• Some experience of US GAAP and/or IFRS.
• Experience of dealing with HMRC and foreign tax authorities for queries and audit requirements.
• Experience of working for a multinational UK headquartered company.
• Media environment experience.
• Working knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials and nVision.
In return, we offer a professional, progressive and multicultural environment for you to grow both personally as well as a wide range of benefits offered by a global company.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: FINANCE
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com